Monday, August 30, 2010

The Magic Mirror

Where does it go? Time that it is....the elusive thief in the night that passes winter to spring, to summer and now into fall. It's been almost a year, a whole year of unmeasurable joy and unbearable sorrow. I've often thought of the dilapidated blog I've left but yet I've found no desire to return. Until tonight.

While I should have been reading two hundred plus pages for a constitutional law class I was perusing the tumblr site of a beautiful girl and her equally beautiful fiancee. I'll admit I was skeptical of their love at first, because when we met earlier this year she was just 17 and talking of marriage. I couldn't fathom the idea of someone knowing enough about life, let along love to commit to eternity at such a tender age. But...I was wrong. So very wrong.

I've learned that a lot over this last year. In fact, I'm more often wrong than I am right. This is something I'm learning to accept, embrace almost. I'm freer than I've ever been and for once I'm so very glad to be wrong.

I sobbed as I watched their youtube videos and marveled at the breathtaking photography that littered their site. I was privy to personal notes of sentiment and love. I even called the BFF to tell her how moved I was. I kept thinking how much I wanted something like that until I got to a page that said "I take you for granted. I'm sorry." and I thought, I too take my beautiful life for granted. I may not have any photographic proof but my ever so generous Heavenly Father has blessed me with something of a great memory and these moments are forever living there.

Two years ago, I lamented for a child I didn't know was waiting around the corner and cursed a war that stole 13 months from my life. Now I curse potty training and school work (which is being paid for by those 13 months of war). How far we've come and the beauty or our reality is that we've only just come these seven years.

Perspective, that's what I'm really searching for and by the grace of a random facebook post I've grasped on.

Hence, we're good here at Casa Livingston. We're working, learning, playing, growing and loving. Grace wants a sissy and Dallan wants a new job. I want to survive this semester. But none of us want for much else.

So, thank you to that beautiful young couple for a rich love and a willingness to share. You're true and deep and honest and I can't thank you enough for sharing; for reminding me what I do have. For holding up that magic mirror.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

What a beautiful post Kirsten! You are such a wonderful example of happiness! Love to you!

Masiek said...

Kirsten- this post brought me to tears..so truely spoken-

Val said...

So true! You are awesome.

Kristin said...

Hi! I hope all is well with you guys and Grace is doing good. I would love to see pictures sometime if you get a chance! Good luck with the potty training stage if it is still going on.
Kristin Jag