Sunday, October 12, 2008

Catch Up: South Dakota




So I'm only like three months behind here....


Dallan and I were able to go to South Dakota to spend a week with my dad's side of the family. Along the way, we picked up my fave sister in law (although she is totally a sister and not an in-law) and her husband and drove Dallan crazy watching movies on the forever long drive to nowhere. (In case anyone is ever thinking of driving from Northern California to Custer, South Dakota - DON'T; it's a 24 HOUR drive...). Except for me getting sick along the way (it's official; I'm allergic to Utah) we had a great time. Some of these family members I hadn't seen in over a decade and it was like no time had passed at all. They loved Kait and Clint and haven't stopped talking about how wonderful Dallan and his sister are. We went to Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Hill City, the National Woodcarving Museum*, Purple Pie House and lots of other cool places. All in all, it was a great little reunion!


*Disclaimer - I totally did NOT want to spend an afternoon doing this, however Dallan very nicely went along with dressing up in Hill City for old time photos so I couldn't very well deny him such a simple request...Luckily we didn't pass this up because it was AMAZING!!!! We saw the most beautiful chess set designed to be Custer's Last Stand and wanted it so badly, alas $16oo on a chess set was way out of our price range but it totally inspired some creativity. Plus the resident artist teaches wood carving at Davis during the winter/spring semesters so Dallan may take a class there to learn how to do his own Custer's Last Stand....

No comments: