Sunday, October 12, 2008

Catch Up: Alaska Cruise






Our second adventure this summer: cruising the beautiful waters that are Alaska for 10 days!


Dallan has always wanted to go to Alaska. I was fortunate enough to go back in the summer of 2000 with my grandmother and sister. I've been putting off this vacation destination in favor of other things (basically I'd already seen it so I wanted something new), but I realized last year that only two things mattered... 1. We had survived the deployment and would be together and 2. Who cares, where we go - we're lucky to be able to afford what we want to do! So, I called a travel agent and she took care of everything. We left out of San Francisco harbor on the morning of Aug. 15 and docked back in on the 25th. Along the way we saw Victoria, Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka and the Tracy Arm Fjords. It was so much more beautiful than I remembered and Dallan says it totally exceeded what he thought it would be. We'd definitely go again some day. Even on our days at sea we managed to have the time of our lives. We went to art auctions, trivia in the library, swimming, the movies, photography lectures and so much more. We were also lucky enough to eat every night with the three best couples on that ship. They were so warm and amazing - what lives they've all lead - plus the one guy was a walking trivia game*; needless to say we were never bored and the ten days went by way too fast!


*My favorite piece of trivia from the cruise.... Name all the states that start with either M or N. I'll give you this much, there are 8 of each....

No comments: